Free Internet For Senior Citizens
|Read Xfinity review
Data effective as of post date. Offers and availability may vary by location and are subject to change. Taxes and fees may apply.
Youve probably noticed the final prices after Lifeline assistance are higher than those from ISP low-income programs. But dont write Lifeline offits a big help when providers in your area dont offer their own initiatives. Lifeline makes internet accessible across the country, so its always an option if you qualify.
Not sure which of these providers are available where you are? Enter your zip code to see your options:
How Seniors Can Stay Safe On The Internet
If youre new to the internet, youll want to take some precautions. Its been reported that seniors lose $2.9 billion annually from financial scams.2 Like over the phone or through the mail, financial scams and identity theft can happen online, too. Here are some tips to help seniors stay alert and protected while using the internet:
- Make sure you use secure passwords that include numbers, uppercase and lowercase letters and special characters. Keep your passwords stored in a safe place where you can access if needed.
- If possible, set up two-factor authentication for your online accounts. This ensures only you have access to unique access codes that are sent to your phone.
- If you are using social media, set your account to private. Simply go to privacy settings and change it from public to private. Also, take a moment to adjust your notifications, grant permission to certain people who can send you messages and so on.
- Avoid opening suspicious emails or clicking on unknown links. If something looks unfamiliar, its most likely a scam.
- If you fall victim to an internet scam, it is important to report the crime to your local police and/or your local adult protective services3. Inform someone you trust, like a close friend or an adult child.
Where Can You Get Cheap Landline Phone Service For Seniors
Community Phone provide the cheapest landline phone service for seniors. With a 5% lifetime discount for senior citizens, Community Phoneâs landline service can save you hundreds of dollars on installation costs, setup, and maintenance. It is 31-35% cheaper than traditional and digital landlines, 20-25% cheaper than VoIP, and a whopping 73% cheaper than a cell phone.Call our landline specialists at -593-5333.
Don’t Miss: Reduced Property Taxes For Seniors
Is There Free Internet For Seniors
There are several government programs that provide reduced-cost or free internet for seniors, including the FCCs Lifeline program and ConnectHomeUSA. Low-income applicants and those enrolled in government programs like SSI and Medicaid are also eligible for many of these reduced-cost or free internet programs.
What Are The Benefits Of Landline Service For Seniors
The benefits of a landline service for seniors include:1. Provides security in an emergency situation.2. Does not require batteries to power on.3. Enhanced sound clarity and quality.4. Enjoy unlimited nationwide calling.5. Works during a power outage.6. Can’t be compromised.7. Never drop a call.Call our landline specialists at -593-5333.
You May Like: National Park Senior Pass Lifetime
Internet Plans And Services
When choosing the best internet plan for you, you will first want to consider what is available at your location. You can check availability of AT& T Internet service here. This will show you the highest speed available at your location. If only one plan is shown, its our best internet offer based on your location.1Next, you will want to get an idea for how much speed you will need. Internet speed is often measured by download speeds and upload speed in Mbps. The download speed tells you how quickly you can move information from the internet onto your device. The upload speed tells you how quickly you can send information from your device out to other parts of the internet. Mbps stands for megabits per second. A megabit is just a measurement for an amount of data. Megabits per second tells you how many megabits of data on average will move each second. You can measure the speed of your current internet plan here.If you are looking for an affordable and reliable internet plan, AT& T Fiber plans start as low as $55/mo. with no annual contract and equipment fees included, where available. Pricing for AT& T Fiber plans is straightforward, meaning there is no price increase at 12 months and no equipment fees added. AT& T Internet offers 99% reliability.2
1Geographic and service restrictions apply.
2Claim based on 2017 – 2020 ACSI survey of customers rating their own internet service providers performance.
Finding A Competitive Provider Could Get Easier
One of the challenges of finding an affordable internet plan is that ISPs often engage in anticompetitive practices that allow them to inflate prices instead of following market demand. This puts a huge burden on those with fixed incomes, as well as those who live in rural areas.
To address this lack of competition among broadband providers, the White House issued an executive order instructing the FCC to uphold certain standards for ISPs, including preventing them from engaging in certain anticompetitive practices and requiring them to make pricing more transparent, to limit excessive early termination fees, and to restore net neutrality.2 If implemented by the FCC, these measures could reduce the cost of internet access for many Americans.
You May Like: Job For Seniors Over 60
The Best Internet Plans From Leading Service Providers
The first option is to turn to a leading internet provider for a new plan. This is a great approach for those that already have a high-speed service at home and are loyal customers. Many leading companies will offer a discounted rate for seniors that qualify. Some of these companies may lower the speeds as a result, while others could add other incentives. If you arent committed to a particular provider, it may pay off to shop around. Here are some of the better deals on the market.
Best Internet And Cable Packages
Mediacom serves the Midwest and only offers cable television bundled with internet service. This provider has an impressive channel lineup and many customization offers, including on-demand service and a mobile app. A nice feature that many seniors will like is an optional TiVo cable receiver, that comes with a DVR, a voice remote so you can navigate the service with voice commands, and an intelligent guide to help you easily search available programming.
Their Internet 60 + Essential TV package provides 60MB internet service, plus 125 TV channels for $80 per month.
You May Like: Home Instead Senior Care Lawsuit
Where To Start With Low
There are multiple options for affordable internet services. Use the links below to check out the programs youre interested in, or keep scrolling to read the full article.
The best low-income internet option is the new Affordable Connectivity Program with offers qualifying households up to $30 per month off internet service . Depending on where you live in the US, internet plans can start as low as $19.99 per month, so those savings may get you connected for free.
For more savings, we also recommend looking into two internet solutions that have been around a bit longer. You may be able to double up these programs with your ACP benefits.
Stay In Touch With Loved Ones
For instance, they can stay in touch with their children and grandchildren. Learning how to use the internet can remove their loneliness. Instead of being alone, they can use the internet to reconnect. The internet can help you in many ways. It can help you in learning new skills. It can help in keeping in touch with the news. The internet can be a vast space for all types of fun.
Also Check: Senior Living St Louis Mo
Which At& t Internet Plan Is Best For Me
Where available, AT& T Fiber includes five plans: 300Mbps speed, 500Mbps speed, up to 1 GIG speed , 2 GIG speed and 5 GIG speed. Internet 1000 is great for connecting smart homes, gaming online, and powering home offices. AT& T Fiber with 5 GIG speed is ideal for content builders and influencers who need a strong connection to go live.If AT& T Fiber is not available in your area or you do not feel you need that much speed, AT& T Internet plans with lower upload and download speeds may offer the speed you need for things like streaming videos in HD and sharing large files.AT& T Fixed Wireless Internet is available to select households and businesses who cannot get traditional internet service .
What To Consider When Selecting An Internet Provider
With so many offerings out there, pinning down the best internet provider isnt easy. For seniors looking to change providers or get connected for the first time, there are some crucial factors to keep in mind when weighing your options.
- Usage: Consider how many individuals in your household will be using the internet. If several of you will be using it simultaneously and streaming videos in HD, make sure your provider has adequate bandwidth.
- Budget: Internet can cost as low as $5 a month and as high as $300 a month depending on which provider and broadband type you choose. Establish a budget ahead of time to help select the right provider.
- Reliability: Some providers have more outages than others. Make sure the provider you select has a reliable connection.
- Speed: Streaming HD videos and online gaming requires higher speeds than simply checking emails and browsing the web. Usually, 25-100 Mbps is adequate for the average user.
- Contracts: Sometimes, you can get a better monthly service rate if you sign a 1-2 year contract. If you dont plan on living in your current residence for long, you may want to consider a no-contract provider.
- Bundles: For additional savings, some providers offer TV and phone services which you can bundle with your internet. You save more money through bundling than purchasing a standalone internet plan. Plus, you may be able to receive free upgrades to your services.
Everything to Know About Internet Connections
Recommended Reading: Apartments To Rent For Seniors
How Seniors Can Qualify For The Fcc Lifeline Program
The Lifeline program is a federal assistance program through the Federal Communications Commission that helps low- and fixed-income Americans, such as seniors, obtain affordable telephone and internet service.
Lifeline works with internet service providers to give you a discount of up to $9.25 per month off your internet bill or $5.25 per month off your phone bill. To apply for the Lifeline program, seniors must have an income at or below the 135 percent federal poverty guidelines or be enrolled in a preexisting federal assistance program. Here are all the qualifying programs the FCC recognizes for Lifeline participants:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Tribal programs
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program , formerly called Food Stamps
List Of The Best Internet Services For Seniors In 2022
- Only available in 21 states
- Installation and equipment fees
Find out more: Learn more about AT& T internet in our AT& T internet for seniors review.
Several companies offer internet for low-income seniors , but Spectrum earned our choice for best low-cost internet for seniors thanks to their Spectrum Internet Assist plan. To qualify for Spectrum Internet Assist, one or more members of your household must currently receive assistance under Supplemental Security Income for applicants 65 or older, the Community Eligibility Provision , or the National School Lunch Program .
Spectrums Internet Assist program is quite robust, offering high-speed internet, a free internet modem, and the option to add WiFi for only $5 more per month. Its simple to apply online, or you can and mail it in if you prefer.
Its important to note that if you owe any debt to Charter Communications or have been a customer of Charter Communications within the past 30 days, you will not qualify for the Spectrum Internet Assist program.
Please scroll to the right for more info.
Inside tip: Learn more about Spectrums low-cost and traditional internet plans in our Spectrum Internet review.
You May Like: Apartments For Rent For Seniors
Best For Customer Service
CenturyLink has ben ranked as having very good customer service. Of interest to many seniors is their Internet Basics program, designed to improve and promote adoption and use of broadband services, which includes training an support for their customers.
You get access to free basic internet training with their CenturyLink Internet Basics service. Do you need a computer for the free basic internet training? CenturyLink offers a low-cost, internet ready computer for eligible Internet Basics customers.
In addition, you will get a 30-day money-back guarantee plus 24/7 technical support.
Why Do Seniors Need The Internet
Below are just a few reasons older adults need to know about internet providers.
- Medical alert systems: Many older adults invest in medical alert systems. Not all systems require the internet, but some more advanced features such as those offered by Medical Guardians Active Guardian package need Wi-Fi to function. A landline is required for many medical alert systems to work, and many internet service providers, including AT& T and Xfinity, offer phone and internet bundles. By purchasing a bundle, you are likely to save money in the long run.
- Communication: Having the internet is one way to give loved ones and caretakers peace of mind. Not only does the internet allow for older adults to email and video chat with family members, but it also enables family members to check in remotely. For example, many security cameras run on Wi-Fi and offer apps to see whats happening on the cameras.
- Entertainment: The internet allows for additional forms of entertainment, such as streaming, online shopping, digital reading, and gaming. Older adults who are unable to leave their homes could easily find an online game they can play with other people.
You May Like: Presbyterian Senior Care Washington Pa
Why Should Seniors Learn To Use The Internet
Knowing how to use the internet is extremely important. Seniors should know how to use the internet to stay up to date with the world. The internet has made the world extremely fast-paced. It has made many things possible.
It is seen as a challenge for older people who feel stuck and isolated. But, if seniors know how to use the internet, they can feel included in the world. The internet can open a wave of opportunities for them- each of which can be highly beneficial. Almost everything in the world is about the internet.
Do Any Cable Companies Offer Discounts For Older Adults
No, not specifically. But several cable internet companies do feature discount programs and plans that can apply to seniors. For example, Optimum offers Optimum Advantage Internet, a low-cost, 50Mbps plan for $15 a month that includes free installation, unlimited data, no contracts and a Wi-Fi router. Among the eligibility criteria are veterans receiving state or federal public assistance or seniors 65 and older who participate in Supplemental Security Income. Astound Broadband’s Internet First program and Spectrum’s Internet Assist also include the SSI participation qualification. Finally, Comcast Xfinity’s Internet Essentials accepts SSI and participation in Medicaid or a VA pension.
Read Also: Things For Seniors To Do
How Seniors Can Avoid Online Scams
People over the age of 60 are the most frequent victims of internet crime, losing over $1.68 billion to online scammers in 2021.1 Seniors should especially watch out for scams related to tech support and online dating.
Ways to ward off online scams:
- Install antivirus software on your computer .
- Use unique passwords for important sites like banks and your email.
- Never give your passwords out to anyone.
- Make your social media accounts private.
- Dont click on anything if youre not sure where itll take you.
- Never give out your personal information to someone you dont know.
- Never agree to send money or give out your credit card information to pay fees on free gifts or prizes.
Another way to protect yourself is to become familiar with some of the common scams that youll encounter on the internet. Once you know what youre looking for, many of these scams become fairly easy to spot.
Common scams to watch out for:
- Someone calling you and impersonating a bank representative, government official, or other authority figure
- An offer of tech support for a problem you didnt know you had
- An announcement that you won a content you didnt enter
Even if you think the issue might be genuine, you should never respond to the message. And definitely never send any money until you have double checked that the request is legitimate. Instead contact your bank, the appropriate government office, or a reputable tech support service to see if theres an actual problem.
Best Dress Boutiques For Seniors In Georgia
AmazonAmazon offers a wide selection of clothing for seniors as one of the best dress boutiques for seniors in Georgia. Its collection includes dresses that are not only age-appropriate but also easy to wear and undress.
The collection is made up of dresses from some of the best fabrics that are comfortable and soft on the skin. The dresses also come in different patterns, designs and colors to address the needs of different customersWhile shopping on Amazon, seniors or caregivers can choose clothing based on the wearers abilities and limitations to dress. Adaptive clothing is also available for those in assisted living systems. For instance, snap-back dress designs are available for those who cannot dress. The open-back dresses should also keep the wearer looking lovely, feeling comfortable and less struggle when getting dressed.
Resident EssentialsResident Essentials is another ideal online store for seniors clothing. As one of the best dress boutiques for seniors in Georgia, it offers a wide assortment of womens clothing and adaptive clothing for those with limited mobility.
Some of its offerings include dresses with back snaps and side zippers. It also offers traditional clothing for seniors who cherish classic styles. The clothing comes in different colors and patterns, ensuring variety and should look good.
Care Apparel is the store to visit for anyone looking to wear the same styles and Colors they have worn over the years.
Recommended Reading: Unsigned Senior Basketball Showcase 2022