Christmas Crafts For Seniors
Crafting is one of the best ways to show your holiday spirit and add a festive touch to your surroundings. Try your hand at one of these Christmas crafts for seniors:
Visit A Soldier Cemetery
Did you know that Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day because it was a day for people to decorate the graves of fallen soldiers? If youre looking for an activity to do outside of the community, organize a bus trip for residents to visit a local military landmark or soldiers cemetery.
Looking for a patriotic playlist for Memorial Day? Weve got you covered!
Easy Memorial Day Crafts For Kids
Memorial Day is a day to remember those who died while serving in the military. Try some fun childrens craft projects that honor the soldiers who have fought for our country.
1. Tie Dye Bunting Tutorial Turn inexpensive white cotton fabric into fun patriotic bunting using this tie dye bunting tutorial. *Update: Blog link is no longer available.
2. Flag Blocks Turn scrap lumber into a Patriotic decoration for any of your favorite red, white and blue holidays. These flag blocks can be displayed indoors or out from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
3. DIY American Flag Shirts This is the most darling flag t-shirt made from ruffles and buttons! I can just imagine my entire family wearing fun homemade flag shirts on Memorial Day.
4. 4th of July Felt Star Wreath Dozens of felt stars were added to a styrofoam wreath form to create this beautiful and patriotic wreath
Also Check: Free Online Tax Filing For Seniors
Memorial Day The Fourth Of July And Any Summer Weekend Serves As The Perfect Excuse For Crafting With Some Red White And Blue
Let our craft supplies spark you creativity! Whether you’re making DIY décor, gifts or jewelry, our patriotic adult crafts are perfect for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. Dressed in red, white and blue – we promise these USA-themed patriotic picks are perfect for you. When you add any of the items from this star-spangled selection to your collection of cool crafts, you’ll be able to let creative freedom ring!
Hooray for the USA! If it’s summertime, then tis the season to go full-throttle stars, stripes and crafts. After all, nothing trumpets in the festivities quite like sparkling, handmade Americana décor and DIY patriotic accents. To welcome one and all into the enthusiastic revelry, our red, white and blue craft selection includes more than two dozen ways for you to celebrate America, the land of the free and home of the brave.
In fact, our patriotic crafts for adults are the best way to spend any ole summer day. And warmer weather is the best excuse to get friends together for some unwind time. While you’re making memories with your gal pals, why not also make something you can hang and admire for months to come? To host your very own Lady Liberty-approved craft celebration, simply shop these supplies. Before you know it, you and your friends will be crafting keepsakes perfect for adorning your patio, kitchen and any other living space.
Memorial Day Home Decor
- DIY Patriotic Sign A pledge of allegiance sign is the perfect way to show off your patriotic spirit!
- Star Luminaries These are great for Memorial Day or even July 4th, adds a great touch to the table.
- DIY Flag Lanterns This is a simple lantern project you can have done in no time!!
- Patriotic Cupcake Liner Wreath Wreaths are a great addition to any decor, give it a patriotic feel with some red, white and blue cupcake liners.
Read Also: Fancy Feast Senior Cat Food
Rustic American Flag Printables
Of course we had to start out this list with one of the most classic Memorial Day projects of all making American flags. Find our rustic American flag design, which have a more dusty red and weathered white rather than the traditionally bright red, white and blue colors. Making these flags is as simple as printing and cutting out the designs, and then attaching them to wooden dowels. There are two different sizes included in for variety. When youre done, you can hand them out on Memorial Day, or style a little centerpiece.
Kids Crafts For Special Days In June
Unlike memorial day, which is the day for honoring those who passed away while serving in the milit. As is tradition, pennsylvanias own punxsutawney phil emerged from their burrow this morning, ready to forecast just how long 2021s winter will last. But february 2, which usually means crowds and cameras and fireworks, looked a bit differ. Veterans day is one of the eleven federal holidays in the united states for federal organizations and is a public holiday for all 50 states.
Read Also: Weatherization Assistance Program For Seniors
Orange And Clove Pomander Balls
Pomander balls are a unique but traditional holiday craft that incorporates the sense of smell. They also look festive and are easy to make.
Pomander balls are citrus fruits studded with whole cloves. If created correctly, you can make a pomander ball over Thanksgiving and it will last through the holiday season.
Heres a good explanation of how to make great-smelling and beautiful-looking pomander balls.
Patriotic Diy Projects To Try
Making patriotic crafts to celebrate the 4th of July and Memorial Day is a wonderful way to show your love for the country. The red, white, and blue colors we associate with these holidays are also appropriate for summer decor, so you can leave the finished projects out all season long. I’ve put together a list of 48 crafts you can use to put your own project together. Enjoy! You’ll find the directions for the beautiful birdhouses shown above here.
Recommended Reading: Lutheran Senior Services Mason Pointe
Popsicle Stick Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam played a big part in recruiting soldiers to the US Army during WW1 and WW2 so this craft couldnt be more suitable for Memorial Day. It also gives you a great opportunity to teach your kids a little bit about the figure in a short history lesson!
Get the full tutorial from Glued to My Crafts Blog.
Best Groundhog Day Activities For The Classroom
As is tradition, pennsylvanias own punxsutawney phil emerged from their burrow this morning, ready to forecast just how long 2021s winter will last. But february 2, which usually means crowds and cameras and fireworks, looked a bit differ. Unlike memorial day, which is the day for honoring those who passed away while serving in the milit. Veterans day is one of the eleven federal holidays in the united states for federal organizations and is a public holiday for all 50 states.
Recommended Reading: Design And Architecture Senior High
Groundhog Day Activities For Seniors
Groundhog Day Activities For Seniors. Unlike memorial day, which is the day for honoring those who passed away while serving in the milit. Veterans day is one of the eleven federal holidays in the united states for federal organizations and is a public holiday for all 50 states. But february 2, which usually means crowds and cameras and fireworks, looked a bit differ. As is tradition, pennsylvanias own punxsutawney phil emerged from their burrow this morning, ready to forecast just how long 2021s winter will last.
Memorial Day Kids Crafts
- Military Clothespin Airplanes Get the kids involved with Memorial Day and make some military-style airplanes.
- Patriotic Parade Stick Before you head out to a Memorial Day parade make these parade sticks with the kids!
- Patriotic Lantern Another fun kids craft you can work on with them at school or even at home this Memorial Day!
- Mosaic Flag The kids can show off their patriotism with this fun flag craft.
Recommended Reading: Senior Life Insurance Phone Number
Benefits Of Arts And Crafts For Seniors
Working on a craft project like the ones listed above is a fun way to pass the time, no matter your age. But did you know that expressive arts offer vital health benefits to seniors, too?
New research shows that artistic activities can reduce the depression and anxiety associated with chronic illness and aging. Studies even show us that crafts can help seniors, including those with Alzheimers, Parkinsons, and other degenerative diseases, unlock their unique creative potentials.
And thats important: seniors have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with younger generations. Sometimes, art is the key to expressing those thoughts, memories, and emotions.
Best Images About Groundhog Day Activity Ideas For
Unlike memorial day, which is the day for honoring those who passed away while serving in the milit. But february 2, which usually means crowds and cameras and fireworks, looked a bit differ. As is tradition, pennsylvanias own punxsutawney phil emerged from their burrow this morning, ready to forecast just how long 2021s winter will last. Veterans day is one of the eleven federal holidays in the united states for federal organizations and is a public holiday for all 50 states.
Recommended Reading: Examination Of Conscience For Seniors
Painting And Coloring Crafts
Many seniors enjoy expressing themselves with markers and paintbrushes. Focusing on patterns and colors calms the mind and allows the brain to take a break from daily worries. In fact, some research suggests that coloring can have the same soothing effect on the body as meditation. With that in mind, check out these examples of painting and coloring projects for seniors:
Simple Memorial Day Crafts
- Show your support by making a fabulous wreath for your front door!
- Patriotic Colored Rice Jars This is a pretty clever idea coloring the rice red, white and blue for your table setting.
- Patriotic Coffee Filter Flowers Fill a mason jar with a bouquet of this super simple craft.
- Patriotic Utensil Holder I loved working on this and making a fun way to display our utensils for the BBQ.
- Epsom Salt Luminaries The texture is a great way to create a fun look out of the ordinary.
- Patriotic Flower Pots I love an upcycle project so making these flower pots out of cans is a wonderful idea.
- American Flag Bandana Wreath Another great wreath idea to show off your patriotic pride!
- Patriotic Paper Lollies These are an amazing centerpiece for any table setting and looks pretty easy to make.
- Flag Wreath This is a cool wreath idea and I love what they used to make it, so clever!
- Patriotic Slime This is a super fun activity for the kids this Memorial Day!
Also Check: Part Time Jobs For Seniors In My Area
Food & Recipes With Memorial Day Theme
Celebrate Memorial Day with all your favorite summer snacks, food and recipes. Heres a collection of some of the best blogs to help you celebrate this fun summer holiday.
28. Flag Cake Tutorial This pictured tutorial will show you how to turn boxed cake mix into a patriotic masterpiece.
29. Red, White, and Blue Strawberries Fresh red strawberries, white chocolate, and blue sprinkles make for fun patriotic striped strawberries. Your guests will literally eat them up.
30. Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Popsicle Traditional Rice Krispie treats get a fun party spin with a little chocolate and some red, white and blue ribbon.
31. Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwich Pops Transform store bought ice cream sandwiches into cute patriotic picnic treats with the addition of some red, white and blue sprinkles and a lollipop stick.
National Moment Of Remembrance
Sixty seconds of silenceeven the simplest of tributes has a significant impact. The National Moment of Remembrance stops the clock for one minute. Everyone is quiet and still at 3:00 pm local time to honor the soldiers and their loved ones for making the ultimate sacrifice. Our nation stands united if for only one minute.
You May Like: Does Directv Offer Senior Discounts
Patriotic Memorial Day Crafts For The Entire Family
Teach your kids the meaning of Memorial Day and honor lost soldiers with these easy Memorial Day crafts! The entire family can get involved with these.
What are you doing to celebrate Memorial Day this year? If you dont have any plans just yet, why not try some of the Memorial Day craft ideas below? Theyre fun, patriotic, and allow you to spend some time with your kids.
They also give you the opportunity for a small history lesson! Take some time to teach your kids the history behind Memorial Day while you do the crafts below.
Memorial Day Fun Activities For Kindergarten And Preschool Kids
Wondering what to do this Memorial Day for kids in kindergarten and preschool? Here are a few fun and educational activities you can do with your kids at home or at the park.
22. Uncle Sam Hand Puppet Kids will enjoy creating their own Uncle Sam hand puppet and then they can entertain themselves and your guests with a patriotic puppet show.
23. Hand and Footprint Flag White paper, red and blue paint, and your kids are all you need for this activity. Let them each create a flag using their hands and feet and then use the resulting work of art to decorate for Flag Day or any of the patriotic summer holiday.
24. Flag Tag Relay Two teams and a bucket of flags are all you need for some patriotic outdoor fun. *Update: Blog link is no longer available.
25. Patriotic Balloon Dart Game This easy to make game will provide lots of fun for your little party goers. Let the kids try to pop the balloons with darts or add an extra layer of fun by filling the balloons with confetti or candy.
26. Tin Can Races Create some red, white, and blue tin can stompers and use then for a tin can race at your 4th of July party.
27. Free Printable Patriotic Bingo Cards Enjoy a fun game of patriotic bingo with the kids during your Memorial Day weekend.*Update: Blog link is no longer available. Heres another free Patriotic 4th of July Bingo by Blooming Homestead that you might like.
Also Check: Government Benefits For Seniors Over 65
Popsicle Stick Uncle Sam Kid Craft
Need another inexpensive craft project? Popsicle sticks remain one of the most versatile craft supplies, so heres another popsicle stick craft. This one depicts Uncle Sam.
Like the American flag, Uncle Sam has become an iconic representation of America. Uncle Sam originated from an American businessman named Samuel Wilson who, during the War of 1812, supplied barrels of beef to the U.S. Army. Seeing the barrels marked U.S. inspired Wilson to come up with the name Uncle Sam.
Recognized by his tall hat, white beard and, of course, the red, white and blue, Uncle Sam is easy to recreate with paint and paper on popsicle sticks. The hat is made by painting the popsicle sticks alternately red and white, a nod to the stripes that appear on the American flag. His beard is made by tracing the hands of a child onto white cardstock, cutting them out and gluing them upside down on Uncle Sams beard.
The googly eyes used on this project really add a touch of whimsy. Try varying the eye size for different effects. To change up the beard effects, you could glue cotton balls onto the bottom of Uncle Sams face, or cut a beard shape out of fiberfill/batting.
Once complete, you can leave your uncles on display right through Flag Day on June 14th, and Independence Day on the 4th of July.
Thinking ahead, its not much of a stretch to reimagine this craft as a popsicle stick Santa Claus! Paint the hat area all red and the brim white instead of blue. Voila instant Santa!